Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Cowboy Took Me For a Ride

I thought it was just a quick ride with him to the feed room. It was time to feed the horses after all, the kids were all playing outside and you could see the storm front heading our way.

I was sitting at the picnic table looking at a magazine. He rides up and says "Hop on." So I hop on to the back of the new paint we call 'Cash'. Now I don't really ride horses. If the truth be told - I love the idea of it, it sounds so fun but I'm not all that comfortable sitting up there and I really have no idea what I'm doing.

This time I was riding along - holding on - sitting on the back. No problem I thought. Have you ever sat on the back of a horse, behind the saddle, right above the horses hips? Hmmm - it may be the bounciest place to sit, the most out of control feeling place to ride. But I sat there, told my self to sit back and enjoy the ride - despite the sweaty horse hind-end I sat upon.

Ride was a little bit farther than the feed room. We rode through the clear-cut to the creek bottom pasture 'just to see if the new cows were still there'.

It is funny that living way out in the middle of nowhere you'd think I'd be used to seeing all kinds of wildlife. But this ride was a special treat for me. Sure I see a deer or a rabbit - from my car or way far out in the pasture. But up close and personal, not so much. We rode up on an armadillo - I'm not sure I've seen a live armadillo, they are usually on the side of the road. We saw a coyote and a wild hog. These I do see, but not this close, just maybe 50 feet awayfrom me.

I loved it, the peace, the quiet, the beauty. Just The Cowboy and me, and the horse and the dog chasing off all the wildlife. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

By the time we got back it was quickly getting dark, the wind was blowing and starting to rain - back in just the nick of time.

No comments: